Enjoy fresh apple juice throughout the year by preserving the apple harvest. Canning apple juice concentrate is made simple with the use of a modern preserving tool known as a steam juicer. This unique tool makes preserving apple juice quite easy and seamless.
Thankfully, we live in a modern world with modern tools. The entire process for making and canning apple juice concentrate, from start to finish, takes roughly 45 minutes. Which, by the way, is much better than hours on end!
A Farm Girl in the Making is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program which is linked to Amazon.com and other affiliated sites. This allows for us to make a small amount of money on goods you purchase at no extra charge to you. For that, we thank you!
Enjoy Fresh Apple Juice year-round
Any variety of apple can be transformed into fresh apple juice concentrate for canning. However, selecting a sweeter variety will make for a better juice. Not to mention, a sweeter apple means there is no need to sweeten the juice, and the bonus for making your own juice concentrate? Create a unique flavor by combining a variety of apples to be steamed.
The apples mentioned below are perfect for making juice concentrate:
- Honey Crisp
- Golden Delicious
- Pink Lady
- Granny Smith
- Red Delicious
Apples are a very versatile fruit item, making them great for preserving and cooking. Here’s a list multiple methods for working with apples:
- Canning Apple Salsa
- Easy Applesauce Recipe with Canning Tips
- Crockpot Apple Butter for Canning
- Apple Pull-apart Bread
- Dehydrated Cinnamon Apple Rings
- Homemade Apple Cider Vinegar
- Spiced Apple Shrub
- Homemade Apple Fruit Pectin
- Apple Pie Moonshine
- Canning Apple Slices
- Canning Apple Pie Filling
Using a Steam Juicer
A steam juicer is ideal for making juice concentrate, jelly, and fruit leather. Forget about boiling fruit and hanging it to extract the juice, the traditional process is too long.
Using a steam juicer means the liquid from the fruit is extracted in a fraction of the time, creating a crystal clear product. Since there is no sediment in the liquid this makes juice concentrate able to be canned.
A steam juicer is made of 3 components, and how to use a steam juicer is extremely easy. In truth, this tool is worth its weight in gold!
Canning Apple Juice Concentrate
The steam juicer can hold roughly 10 pounds of apples at a time, which equals roughly 2 quarts of pure juice concentrate.
- 30 pounds of apples, quartered and seeds removed to make applesauce
- organic granulated sugar, optional
Canning Apple Juice Concentrate – Equipment
Canning Apple Juice Concentrate – Instructions
One important tip, allow the juice from the apples to extract naturally. Do not attempt to help the process by pressing on the steamed apples. In doing so runs the risk that apple sediment will end up in the liquid.
- Prepare jars and warm lids.
- Fill the water pan of the steam juicer.
- Place juice kettle onto the water pan, making sure to clamp the hose.
- Slice apples into quarter pieces, removing the center core, stem and blossom end.
- Add apples to the steamer basket, then place the basket onto the juice kettle.
- Cover steam juicer with the lid.
- Steam apples over continuously boiling water. Allow the apples to steam for roughly 30 minutes.
- Once the apples appear mushy, the juice has been fully extracted. Reserve the apple mush, or pulp, to make applesauce.
- Fill jars by releasing the clamp on the hose, making sure to leave a 1/4-headspace.
- Using a clean wet dishtowel, wipe the rims of the jars. Add warmed lids and rings to finger tight.
- Place the jars into the steam canner or hot water bath canner and process according to your altitude, see the chart below for the correct processing time.
Sugar is not necessary, however, it can be added when the apples are not quite sweet enough. Generally, a 1/8 teaspoon per quart jar is enough. Also, sugar is a preservative, adding a small amount will help to maintain the color of the juice as it sits on the shelf.
Reserve the mush, or pulp, from the extraction of the juice concentrate. With the appropriate spices, the pulp can be transformed into an easy applesauce and canned.
One final tip, add 3 to 4 glass marbles to the water pan. When the marbles bounce the water level is good. Once the marbles stop bouncing the water level is low and additional boiling water will need to be added.
|Type of Pack
|0 – 1,000 ft
|1,001 – 6,000 ft
|above 6,000 ft
|Pint or Quart
For additional tip, trick, and recipes on how to preserve foods grab a copy of my book, The Farm Girl's Guide to Preserving the Harvest. Whether you are a novice or seasoned home food preserver my book has something for everyone. Learn how to can, ferment, dry, cure, freeze, and store raw the harvest as a sustainable homesteader would.
Printable Instruction Card – Canning Apple Juice Concentrate
- apples, quartered and seeds removed to make applesauce
- organic granulated sugar, optional
- steam juicer
- quart or pint size mason jars
- jar funnel
- steam canner or hot water bath canner
Serving Size:1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g
Enjoy fresh apple juice year long by canning apple juice concentrate. This method for preserving apple juice is made easy with one simple tool!