Leave the chemicals behind and make scented pinecones. Easy DIY naturally scented pine cones are made with foraged pinecones and essential oils. Included are tips on how to clean pine cones as well as how to properly scent pine cones for a pleasant, long lasting smell.
A Farm Girl in the Making participates in multiple affiliate programs. She also participates in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program linked to Amazon.com and other affiliated sites. This allows us to make a small amount of money on goods you purchase at no extra charge. For that, we thank you!
The decision to live a healthy, natural lifestyle means caring for what you put into your body, on your body, and eliminating chemicals and toxins in your home. Luckily enough this can easily be achieved by discarding the chemical room fresheners and opting for a chemical free alternative.
Living in the mountains provides us with an abundance of pinecones in various shapes and sizes. Pinecones are used as natural fire starting material and to decorate the home.
If you are looking to begin transitioning to a more natural lifestyle begin by eliminating the toxic chemicals used within the home.
Scented Pine Cones and other Natural Room Fresheners
Pinecones purchased at big box stores are scented with artificial and synthetic fragrances, containing phthalates and hundreds of other chemicals. These toxic ingredients mimic the smell of cinnamon but are far from being a natural ingredient.
Those who are sensitive to such smells often acquire headaches and even a migraine. For this reason it is best to leave these items at the store.
Naturally scented room fresheners consists of the following items:
Get the Kids Involved in Making DIY Naturally Scented Pinecones
Making scented pine cones is a great opportunity to involve the children. There is no better gift from a child than a homemade one. Children are quite capable of foraging for pine cones and assisting to dry them. In addition to this they can partner with you to create a pleasant holiday scent.
How to Clean Pine Cones
Before beginning, dry the pine cones thoroughly. The easiest and quickest method is to bake them in the oven for 20 minutes.
Pinecones can also be dried by placing them in front of the woodstove, allowing them to dry naturally. This process can take a few weeks to complete.
- pinecones, any size or type
- essential oils, create the desired blend
- coarse nylon bristle brush
- baking sheet
- parchment paper
Instructions – How to Clean Pine Cones
- Preheat the oven to 220 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Gently clean the pine cones between the scales with the nylon bristle brush. This will remove any bugs, dirt or loose particles.
- Place the cleaned pinecones in a single layer onto the baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Allow the pinecones to bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove the baking sheet from the oven. Make sure to allow the pinecones to completely cool prior to using them.
How to Scent Pine Cones
How to scent pine cones is extremely easy. The tip to keeping pine cones scented requires them to be freshened once a week.
In an amber spray bottle begin creating the desired combination of essential oils. If you are in need of EO blends refer to the blends listed below.
- essential oils of choice (see EO combinations below)
There are two methods in which to apply the essential oils, pick the method which works best for you. Keep in mind, DIY naturally scented pinecones require freshening once or twice a week.
Water and oil do not mix well. However, with a little assistance these items will remain mixed. In addition to utilizing the spray bottle on the pinecones it can also be used as a room freshener.
- In a 8 ounce amber spray bottle mix 30 essential oil drops, 120 drops of Polysorbate, and 3 ounces of water. Feel free to increase the amounts as needed.
- Gentle swirl the bottle prior to spraying.
- Freshen the pinecones as needed.
This application works extremely well with the use of a premade blend. For example, doTerra’s Holiday or Peace blend or Young Living’s Christmas Spirit blend.
- Using clean and dried pinecones, directly apply 10 to 20 drops of your favorite EO blend.
- Feel free to create an essential oil blend of your choice.
- In a 4 ounce amber eye dropper create a combination using your favorite essential oils. Feel free to use the reference below for incredible holiday combinations. How many drops of each oil will depend on the scent you are after.
- Freshen pinecones as needed by applying drops of the EO blend directly to the pinecones.
One last tip, placing the scented pine cones into a container with a lid for three days will help to intensify the scent and extend the longevity of the smell.
Cinnamon Scented| DIY Naturally Scented Pinecones
The sought after cinnamon scented pine cones are quite easy to make. Mix together the following:
- 20 drops of cinnamon essential oil
- 1 ounce water
- 40 drops of Polysorbate
Fall Blends for Scented Pine Cones
The soft scents of fall are easily created with the following essential oil combinations.
- sweet orange, cinnamon, clove
- cardamon, cinnamon bark, wild orange, clove
- wild orange, patchouli, ginger
- cinnamon bark, white fir, clove
- sweet orange, ginger, cinnamon
Winter Blends for Scented Pine Cones
Essential oils which fall into the category of citrus fruit, peppermint, and evergreen trees remind us of the holiday season.
- peppermint, white fir
- peppermint, ylang ylang
- white fir, grapefruit, frankincense
- wild orange, cinnamon, cardamon, clove
- wild orange, lavender, frankincense
- citrus bliss, peppermint
- cassia, cedarwood, wild orange
- arborvitae, clove, wild orange, cinnamon
- frankincense, myrrh, wild orange, cedarwood
Enjoy DIY naturally scented pinecones throughout the year. These chemical free room fresheners are ideal for every room of the house!