Homemade brewer’s yeast cubes are a natural flea treatment for dogs and cats. When using brewer’s yeast for fleas, along with a few other natural items, the fleas are repelled by the scent and unpleasant taste. As with any natural treatment, consistency is the key to staying on top of the issue. Your dog will thank you.
The desire to live a chemical free life for yourself and your family is important. We consume a clean food source by growing our own fruit and vegetables, raising our own meat, preserving the harvest, and preparing homemade meals.
I participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program (an affiliated program) and other affiliate advertising programs. This allows me the opportunity to earn a small amount on your purchase at no additional cost to you.
Yet, somehow we forget that our constant companions, our dogs and cats, deserve to live as naturally as we do.
Aside from feeding our dogs a complete raw diet and homemade dog treats, they also receive a natural flea treatment. Homemade brewer’s yeast cubes for fleas are given daily, in addition to homemade bone broth, coconut oil, and raw apple cider vinegar.
Brewer’s Yeast for Fleas | Flea Prevention for Dogs
This recipe consists of only 3 ingredients. Each item works together to create a natural flea treatment for your dog. Two out of the three contain amazing healthy qualities, whereas the the final ingredient adds an punch in fighting fleas.
Independently, brewer’s yeast is extremely beneficial for dogs. It’s high in antioxidants and many vitamin B’s. Brewer’s yeast also promotes healthy skin, eyes, fur, and liver function. Due to the high levels of vitamin B, it is stated that brewer’s yeast could very well help reduce anxiety levels in dogs and cats.
Brewer’s yeast in combination of garlic work extremely well in repelling fleas. Especially when it is offered daily. Fleas do not like the ‘flavor’ of dogs which have consumed homemade brewer’s yeast cubes.
A small warning, because of the dosage amount brewer’s yeast can cause large dogs to become gassy. Also, it can counteract with many medications, including prescriptions for anxiety and depression. It is best to contact your veterinarian if your dog is taking medications prior to beginning a natural flea treatment which contains brewer’s yeast.
Coconut oil is the binding element for this natural flea treatment. Due to its amazing benefits coconut oil can also be offered in addition to this recipe.
When offered daily, coconut oil helps with skin issues, digestion and bone health. It also aids in weight loss, soothes joint and arthritis issues, and provides energy. Coconut oil is a powerful antibacterial, antiviral, and anti-fungal agent which assists in preventing many infections and diseases from occurring.
Garlic is a very controversy item when it comes to offering it to dogs. Yes, garlic can cause death though it must be consumed in high quantities in order to do so. For example, a dog must consume half of it’s body weight of garlic in order for it to become toxic.
With that said, I have never seen either of our pups show interest in consuming garlic, either fresh or cured. Nor have I ever seen our dogs show interest in consuming garlic bulbs found in the garden.
But that’s our dogs, your pups may be different. If offering garlic is not comfortable for you, simply leave it out of the recipe.
With that said, remember, garlic can safely be offered to dogs in a small amount daily. A large dog can consume 1 small clove, whereas a smaller toy breed should consume a quarter of a small clove.
Natural Flea Treatment – Ingredients
- 1 1/8-cup organic coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 cup of brewer’s yeast, or brewer’s yeast with garlic
- 5 large cloves minced fresh garlic, optional when using plain brewer’s yeast
Brewer’s Yeast for Fleas – Instructions
- Melt the coconut oil.
- Add the brewer’s yeast and minced garlic to the melted coconut oil. Mix by hand using a spatula, whisk, or an immersion blender until thoroughly blended.
- Slowly pour the mixed brewer’s yeast and coconut oil concoction into the silicon mold. Spread into the sections using a rubber spatula. Or add the mixture to the condiment dispenser and gently distribute evenly to each section of the mold.
- Place the silicone molds into the freezer until the homemade brewer’s yeast cubes have frozen. This process will take roughly 5 minutes.
- Once frozen, pop the homemade brewer’s yeast cubes from the molds and place into a Mason jar or freezer safe container. Store the cubes in the freezer.
- Offer this natural flea treatment daily base on the weight of the dog.
Offer 1/4-teaspoon (1 heart or cube) for every 10 pounds. Use the natural flea treatment as a treat or add to their food daily, make sure to not exceed the amount suggested.
Natural Solutions Requires Consistency
In addition to offering this homemade brewer’s yeast cube recipe consider incorporating the following natural items. Together these items will help to reduce the flea overload on your dog.
A quick note, in order to fight fleas natural you must be diligent and consistent with treatment daily.
Apple Cider Vinegar – Add 2 teaspoons of raw apple cider vinegar for every 50 pounds to your dog’s waterer or food. The ACV alters the smell and taste of a dog, which works to repel fleas.
Diatomaceous Earth (DE) – DE is made-up of tiny fossilized plankton. Once has been ground to powder sharp shards form. These shards are deadly to soft skeletal bugs such as fleas.
Gently sprinkle DE directly onto dogs which are heavily infected with fleas, combing through the fur using a flea comb. Diatomaceous earth works also works well as a spot treatment. The DE will kill fleas instantly, repeat the treatment as needed.
*note* Because of how fine DE is, inhaling a large amount can cause respiratory issues. Use caution when applying it. Never apply directly onto the pet’s head and if at all possible, apply outdoors.
Natural Flea Spray & Daily Vacuuming – Spray rugs, furiture, pet bedding, and even pets with this natural product, Wondercide Flea and Tick Spray. Wonderside is an herbal spray made with cedar, rosemary, lemongrass, and peppermint essential oils.
In combination with this natural spray make sure to vacuum rugs and furniture daily.
Essential Oils – Add a few drops of high grade essential oils to your pet’s collar. Oils such as, cedar wood, rosemary, peppermint, lemongrass and lavender work well in repelling fleas.
A natural flea treatment and all other natural remedies take time to work. But it is a million percent healthier than a chemical alternative.
Homemade Brewer’s Yeast Cubes – a Natural Flea Treatment
For your convenience a printable how to card is available.
- 1 1/8- cup organic coconut oil,, melted
- 1/2 cup of Brewer's yeast,, or Brewer's yeast with garlic
- 5 large cloves minced fresh garlic,, optional. Use in place of Brewer's yeast with garlic
- Melt the coconut oil, making sure to have 1 1/8-cup total.
- Add the Brewer's yeast and minced garlic to the melted coconut oil. Mix by hand using a spatula, hand whisk, or an immersion blender.
- Slowly pour the mixed Brewer's yeast and coconut oil concoction into the silicon mold. Spread the mixture into the sections using a rubber spatula. Or fill a condiment dispenser with the mixture, evenly distributing into each section.
- Place the filled silicone molds into the freezer until the homemade brewer's yeast cubes have frozen. This process will take 5 minutes for the cubes to harden.
- Once frozen, pop the homemade brewer's yeast cubes from the molds and store in the freezer using a Mason jar or freezer safe container.
- Offer this natural flea treatment daily base on their weight. Feel free to provide it as a treat or added to their daily feed, making sure to not exceed the amount.
3 silicone mold, consisting of 1/4-ounce cubes (see article for my suggestion)
silicone spatula, or condiment dispenser (see article for my suggestion)
Offer 1/4-teaspoon for every 10 pounds. A natural flea treatment such as these homemade Brewer's yeast cubs can be offered as a treat throughout the day or added to their food daily.
Serving Size:1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g