Homemade hot chocolate. It should taste amazing, but should also be easy to make. This quick and easy homemade hot chocolate mix is just that!
A Farm Girl in the Making is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program which is linked to Amazon.com and other affiliated sites. This allows for us to make a small amount of money on goods you purchase at no extra charge to you. For that, we thank you!
There is nothing better than something homemade, though homemade hot chocolate ranks off the charts. Children of all ages will appreciate this homemade recipe over any packaged mix, and in truth, they will love you more for it.
When you feed the belly, the heart is happy. See where I’m going with this? Expect a lot of chocolaty kisses in the near future.
Your children can throw together this homemade hot chocolate mix in minutes, so go ahead and let them! It is easy to do, and will give them the satisfaction (and empowerment) to create something absolutely wonderful. Just be prepared, there will surely be a mess to clean up once it’s said and done.
Always have it on hand. Always.
Again, don’t reserve this for just the holiday season! It’s simply to good to be made only once a year. If you think there is a mini stockpile of it in the pantry you may, or may not, be correct.
- Take it camping
- Gift it
- Save it for lazy Saturday mornings
- Drink it whenever, wherever, however ever you little heart desires
However your little heart desires…translating to mean, with a splash of homemade Irish cream liquor. Or with a splash of infused candy cane vodka. Maybe even with some homemade peppermint marshmallows or perfectly delicious original marshmallows. Just for kicks, and be cause I can, here’s a homemade pumpkin marshmallow recipe.
Since the topic of marshmallows was brought up you really should try making marshmallow fluff. The homemade kind without corn starch, the good stuff.
One cannot go wrong by making this homemade hot chocolate mix. Try it, and if you hate it feel free to let me know. Though I know this recipe will not disappoint. Meaning, I’m not expect to hear from you anytime soon.
So, without adieu, an easy homemade hot chocolate mix. Oh, don’t forget to grab the kiddo to help! They’ll really get a kick out of making it.
Hot Chocolate Mix – Ingredients
- 10 cups powder dry milk
- 4 3/4 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 2 cups unsweetened cocoa powder (more if you’re a chocoholic)
- 1 3/4 cups powder non-dairy creamer
Hot Chocolate Mix – Instructions
- Sift into a large mixing bowl the dried milk powder, the confectioners’ sugar, the cocoa powder, non-dairy creamer powder.
- Gently fold the ingredients together until they are thorough mixed.
- Store the homemade hot chocolate mix into airtight containers.
- Sifting is an option when it comes to mixing the ingredients, this step can be skipped though it helps to eliminate any lumps.
- Gently fold together the ingredients until they are thoroughly blended.
- To serve use an even ratio of water to hot chocolate mix, more if you’d like. Though warm milk creates a creamer product.
This is an easy to make recipe and a great way to involve the kiddos. Pre-made mixes are now of the past, and this creamy homemade hot chocolate is the future for those seeking warm creamy chocolaty deliciousness!
For additional tip, trick, and recipes on how to preserve foods grab a copy of my book, The Farm Girl's Guide to Preserving the Harvest. Whether you are a novice or seasoned home food preserver my book has something for everyone. Learn how to can, ferment, dry, cure, freeze, and store raw the harvest as a sustainable homesteader would.