It’s that time of the year and you have landed on this page for one of the following two reasons, to freshen your existing flock or you are looking to incorporate poultry onto your property. Regardless of the reason, you are here at the perfect time! In partnership with McMurray Hatchery, we are excited to bring you the very first Chick Days here at Acorn Creek Farmstead!
2023 Chick Days on the Farm
Friends, we are going old school and I could be more excited!
Back in the day people visited farms to pick up their poultry orders. In fact, McMurray Hatchery, a 114-year-old family business, drove the chicks they hatched to farms for such events like this.
For this chick days event, when you place your poultry order through McMurray Hatchery, you eliminate the need to place a minimum order and will not be charged for shipping! That’s right friends, you can order as many or as little poultry as you wish at no extra charge!
This is a great opportunity for you to place your 2023 poultry order –
- Laying hens
- Meat birds and turkeys
- Guinea Fowl
Keep in mind, this opportunity only will happen once a year. Of course, you may place additional orders throughout the year, however, any order placed once this event ends will be subject to McMurray’s minimum order and shipping costs.
Seasonal Poultry Orders
Through no fault of McMurray Hatchery, there are birds that lay seasonally, for example, turkeys and guineas. McMurray Hatchery has extended the opportunity to place a no-minimum order and waive the shipping cost for these breeds as long as the order is placed during our Chick Days Event. Please see how to place your order and the details below.
- The pick-up date and time for all seasonal layers will be Thursday, June 1st, 2023 between 10 am – 3 pm
- You will pick up your order at our farm (the address can be found below)
- If you cannot pick up your order please refer below as to how arrangements can be made
How to Place your Order
The team at McMurray Hatchery has made the process quite simple!
- To ensure that your order reaches our farm in time, all orders be placed by midnight on March 1st, 2023
- Visit McMurrayHatchery.com to place your order
- Use the following code at checkout – acorncreek2023
Please note, the code provided above can be used multiple times from now through March 1, 2023.
Picking up Your Order
Mark your calendar, your poultry order will be ready for pick-up on Saturday, March 25, 2023, between 10 am – 3 pm. Justin and I (along with the McMurray and volunteer team) ask that you please be respectful of the time slot for this event as we have families and farms to care for.
If you cannot pick up your order and intend to send someone to grab it for you that is okay! We will simply need you to –
- Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Subject line – Chick Days Pick-up Order
- Content – include the name, email, and phone number of the person picking up your order
Please note, if you are unable to pick up your order on the date and time mentioned above, a holding fee of $25 will be issued for each day your order remains on the farm. The holding fee must be paid prior to receiving your order.
Location and Parking
The address for our farm can be found below. All vehicles will park in the north pasture, look for individuals in yellow vests to direct you as to where to park your vehicle.
Acorn Creek is, and shall always be a learning farm. For this very reason, we have scheduled a few activities throughout the day –
- Ann, the owner of Acorn Creek Farmstead and the face behind the brand A Farm Girl in the Making, will be offering a guided infrastructure farm tour from 2 – 3 pm.
- A poultry processing demo is scheduled from 10:30 -11:30 pm.
- Pasture raising broiler birds from 12:30 – 1:30 pm
During your visit to the farm, we ask that you –
- Stay on the beaten path and do not cross any fencing
- Do not attempt to pet or feed the livestock
- Please do not enter any structures
- An adult must accompany children at all times, parents, please be responsible for your young ones
We, along with the McMurray Hatchery team, are extremely excited to offer you this opportunity. Thank you for your support, and we’ll see you in March 2023!